SaveTheTerps.org places a high priority on protecting your privacy.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND RECEIVE
We collect and receive information about you in a few different ways:
Information you give us. You can give us information directly. For example:
- When you contact us, for instance by email or filling out a form on our website, you may give us information such as your name, telephone number, email address, physical address, and other demographic information;
- When you apply, become a member, donate funds online, you give us your billing information, which may include your credit card data; or
- When you otherwise contact us, for instance through social media.
Sponsors and Members
- When you send us a check for an application or become a member or sponsor by phone, we keep a record of the payment; or
- When you meet with us in person at events or meetings, we may collect or process information about you for communication purposes.
- Participants in the SaveTheTerps.org certification provide data to us through the auditing or review process, either directly or through a certification body, through our traceability tools and through the trademark or label approval process.
Others who contract or partner with us
- When you contract with us, partner with us or become a member or sponsor.
Information we process about you may include the following list of data elements:
- Contact details including: your name; home and business addresses; email addresses; phone numbers; facsimile number; instant messaging contact; or any other details contained in a signature.
- business qualifications and professional and employment information including: business certification, lab results, licenses and professional memberships; occupation or title; and service fees or other compensation.
- Payment processing related information including: bank account number; taxpayer identification number or social security number; digitized or electronic signature; location; and credit card information.
- Personal characteristics including: age; date of birth; gender; marital status; nationality; leisure and interests; and photographs, videos and audio recordings.
- Other information: We may collect information about consumer products purchased in relation to our special events. We may collect income or salary information for special events and fundraising purposes or for purposes related to research and evaluation of our programs. When we publish editorial content about or conduct research and evaluation on our programs we may collect information about an individual’s economic, or social identity.
When you use our websites, we may collect information, including your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address (the unique address of your computer which makes it possible to recognize your computer), type of browser, domain names, time of access and the pages that you visit.
- Log information. This is information that is automatically collected and stored when you use our Services or the websites and apps of our business partners and affiliates. It may include, for example:
- Information about your interactions with the websites, apps, and other services you use, the content you view, the search queries you submit, and information in cookies and similar technologies; and
- Information about how you access those websites, apps, and other services, your browser or operating system, your IP address, and the website you visited before visiting our Services.
- Device information. This is information we automatically collect and store about the device you use when you access our Services. Device information includes, for example, the type of device that you are using, and certain device identifiers which may be unique to your device.
- Location information. This information can include, for example, information about your location derived from your IP address if you are on a computer, or your mobile device’s more precise geolocation information.
Most web browsers accept cookies automatically, but can be configured not to do so or to notify the user when a cookie is sent. If you wish to disable cookies, please refer to your browser’s help section. Please note that you may need to take additional steps beyond changing your browser settings to refuse or disable cookies and similar technologies.
Google Analytics. We also collect information via Google Analytics. The analytics features we have implemented are Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting, Remarketing, and Google Display Network Impression Reporting. Visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics using the Ads Settings and by using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Other information. We may receive additional information about you that is publicly or commercially available and combine that with the information we have collected or received about you in other ways. Also, we receive information about you when you choose to connect with social networking services while using our Services.
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND RECEIVE
We use the information we collect and receive for the following purposes:
- Processing the information is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract, or
- The processing is necessary for the purposes of a legitimate interest, or
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation, or
- You have given consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes.
More specifically, we collect and receive information for the following purposes:
To provide our Services and to enforce any applicable terms of service. We use the information we collect and receive to provide you with the Services you use or request, and as needed in order to enter into or perform terms of service.
To provide additional information about savetheterps.org. This information includes updates on projects, new website features, invitations to special events, and opportunities to contribute financially. You will have a possibility to opt out any time you receive this type of information from us.
To improve our Services. We also use the information we collect and receive to provide content you or other users are likely to find relevant and engaging. We also use the information to conduct surveys to measure your satisfaction with our Services, which we use to improve our Services. Information collected will allow us to adjust and improve our websites to your wishes and needs and to be able to prepare anonymized statistics about the use of our websites. Using the information to improve our Services is in our legitimate interest.
To provide effective advertising. You may receive advertising on third-party websites and apps such as Google AdWords, Facebook, and Instagram. We use the information we collect and receive to advertise and to make the advertising we provide more effective, which is in our legitimate interest. Some of the ways we do this are:
- Showing you ads based on your online activities, such as your geographic location, the languages you speak, the keywords that you use on search engines, and the types of social media content that you “like” and/or follow, and website content you view;
- Limiting the number of times you see the same ad; and
- Measuring the effectiveness of the ads you see.
HOW WE SHARE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND RECEIVE
We may share information with:
- Affiliates. The information one SaveTheTerps.org affiliate receives can be shared among other affiliates.
- Business partners. We may share information with select business partners, who may use the information, (including to provide you with relevant advertising in the U.S.) or to collect and make payments for services, donations or royalties and to confirm audit data.
- Other parties in response to legal process or when necessary to protect our Services. We may disclose your information to other parties when we have a good faith belief that:
- It is necessary to respond to lawful governmental requests or legal processes (for example, a court order, search warrant, or subpoena);
- The information is relevant to a crime that has been or is being committed;
- An emergency exists that poses a threat to your safety or the safety of another person; or
- It is necessary to protect the rights or property of the SaveTheTerps.org
In the event that the ownership of the SaveTheTerps.org or an affiliate or their assets changes as a result of a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, or in the unlikely event of a bankruptcy, your information may be transferred to another company.
Companies or Individuals that Provide Services to the SaveTheTerps.org. Companies or individuals that provide Services to the STT.org or act on our behalf may have access to information about you. These companies are limited in their ability to use information they receive in the course of providing Service to us for any purposes other than the services for which we have engaged them.
Third Parties that Provide Content, Advertising Services, or Functionality on Our Online Services. Some of the content, advertising, and functionality on our Services may be provided by third parties that are not affiliated with us. Such third parties include:
- Advertising providers, which help us and our advertising customers provide ads that are tailored to users’ interests and understand how users respond to those ads; and
- Audience-measurement companies, which help us measure the overall usage of our Services and compare that usage to other online services.
Some of these companies may participate in industry-developed programs designed to provide consumers with choices about whether to receive targeted ads. To learn more, please visit the websites of the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance.
Our Commitment to Security
We shall provide appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect your personal data against loss or against any form of unlawful processing and shall impose such security obligations on any data processor we shall enlist. For example, we, or our data processor(s), shall use servers that have been placed in a controlled, secure environment, protected against unauthorized access.
SaveTheTerps.org keeps records only for as long as they are needed for us to conduct our business and to comply with our legal obligations. We adhere to our Records Retention and Management Policy to determine which records shall be retained and for how long. A copy of our Records Retention and Management Policy can be obtained by contacting